Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Editors are...


The initial image of an editor that comes to mind is someone in a small space surrounded by stacks of paper, red pens and markings, and a beeping monitor reminding the editor of his/her due dates; maybe other writers are entering and exiting asking questions and getting ideas, sharing their skills. My take away from this image in my head proves to show me that I don't really understand the many facets of editing and the array of jobs that an editor could have. I have a very one-sided image in my mind.

On the other side, I associate one set of ideals to editors. The first is I assume that all editors are trustworthy and have taken the time to understand their topic, author, and meaning behind a task. I expect editors to do their homework, check on statistics and research to make sure that everything they edit and allow to be published is actually correct. As I reader, I am trusting the editor.

I also expect to see a beautiful publication. I want the font, spacing, and page format to be welcoming, symmetrical, clean, and easy to access. I don't want to struggle to find the article or have to click all over the page. I also don't want to see formatting differences or inconsitencies. If these do occur I question the realiablity of the author and the edtior. If they did not take the time to make their work "look pretty" then how do I know if they took the time to put real thought into their work.

I can guess that being an editor is tricky at times. I can imagine that you are trying to "please" everyone with your work (client included) and are trying to make someone else's thoughts coherent and clear. But I also see being an editor as being a rewarding career. You get to help others and see your corrections influence work.

While my initial image of an editor is narrow, my understanding of their worth is vast.



No comments:

Post a Comment